Get your walking shoes ready! The 20th Annual “Walk to School Day” will take place next Wednesday, October 5th. Elliott Elementary, Lee Elementary, and Salk Elementary are among the Tulsa schools registered to participate in this fun and engaging event.
This movement encourages children across the globe to walk to school on the same day, every year. The mission of this movement is to get children in the routine of walking to school to promote healthy lifestyles and sustainable communities. Encouraging children to walk to school will make them more aware of the proper precautionary tips to take as a pedestrian.
Below are some of the benefits that are associated with walking to school every day:
- It’s enjoyable. Walking brings a sense of happiness, engagement, and independence to not only children but also parents.
- Healthier lifestyles. Walking to school allows children to incorporate consistent physical activity into their lives.
- Better environments. Swapping the daily car routine with walking does an excellent job of reducing air pollution.
- Promoting safe communities. Encouraging children to walk to school can help promote support for improved infrastructure in communities.
- Vibrant communities. Walking to school encourages tight-knit communities through children and parents developing buddies on their route to and from school.
When planning your route to school, please keep the following tips from the National Center for Safe Routes to School in mind to keep yourself and others safe:
- Choose safe routes. Pick a walking path where there are designated paths or sidewalks separated from the road traffic.
- Look both ways. When crossing the street, look left, right, and left again before crossing. Keep a lookout for traffic as you continue to cross.
- Never run. When crossing the street, always walk and hold an adult’s hand if available.
- Limit the number of street crossings. If offered, cross the street at a location where an adult crossing guard is present.
Graves McLain encourages children in Oklahoma to walk to school on October 5th. To see what other Oklahoma schools are participating in this event, visit the 2016 Walk to School Day registration page.
For more information on this event, visit the 20th Annual Walk to School Day website.
Drivers of motor vehicles have a responsibility to safely share the road with children and their parents as they walk to school. If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in a Pedestrian Accident that was caused by a negligent or distracted driver, call Graves McLain at 918-359-6600.
When you call, you will speak with one of our experienced Tulsa Injury attorneys absolutely FREE. We will investigate every detail of your accident at no cost to you, and fight hard to secure the maximum compensation for your injuries and damaged property.
At Graves McLain, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front. We take all cases on a contingency-fee-basis, which means that we don’t get paid until you do.
Graves McLain – Serious Lawyers for Serious Injuries